16.9.10

Remember Me Run-Through (Everything I loved about it!)

No Copyright Infringement Intended. Script Excerpts Source: Memoirs (Early Draft of Remember Me) by Will Fetters 




Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


There are so many parts of this script that I would have loved to photoshop into this post, however, these bits stuck out to me the most. This blog has been a great homage to this beautiful work of art, because it has influenced me so much, in both how I live my life, as well as how I should pursue writing. 

I'm not the best when it comes to writing the voices of my characters. Normally the voices of one or two characters will be so clear that they seem to actually be in the room, living out the scene right in front of me. Other characters, namely male's, seem to take a bit longer to flesh out, and fine tune. This screenplay introduced me to an authentic male voice. A voice that was not so preoccupied with being masculine, that he became a caricature. Tyler seemed to me a guy I could have roamed the the streets of lower Manhattan, while discussing the laments of course work over park bench coffee, and whom I would've certainly visited at the Strand, from opening to close. Will Fetters, in a way, taught me how I should approach creating characters who are normal, who are human, and who are fleshed out. Each character had their own story, although Tyler and Ally's stories were dominant. 

I photoshopped excerpts of the script because I feel that not enough credit is given to the writers of these beautiful stories that grace the screen. We point out gorgeous cinematography, acting ability, costume; But one of my favorite aspects of watching the Academy Awards is listening as the nominees are drawn for best Screenplay. I love how the scripts are shown, and read. For a bibliophile, there is an inherent beauty in the words as they grace the page. That's why I showcased excerpts, instead of mainly scenes from the movie!

I'm discovering that there is a great deal that a prose writer can learn from a screenwriter: pacing, the art of creating a scene, voice authenticity, setting. 

There's another Remember Me post coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks so much for visiting, and leaving a comment! Normally I respond here! Thanks again!

xxx
Britta

Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails