9.10.10

Pride and Prejudice Soap Box- Chapter's I-V

Photobucket
This one's been a long time coming! I think I must be the only English Major, and Austen fan who has never read Pride and Prejudice. It's sad, but it has been hailed so many times that it has lessened my desire to read it all the way through. Everyone fawns over the infamous Mr. Darcy, as if he truly is God's gift to male protagonists. I shake my head, and hope to feel the same way by the time I'm through.

I bought the Vintage Classics edition! When I first noticed that there was no introduction or preface by a scholar, I was a bit taken a back, but then that's the beauty of this edition. Being an English major, my whole library is filled with books that have note upon note by scholars that tell you how to read, and that's fine sometimes. Other times, its best to read a novel as it was read in the time of publication, unswayed by 'scholarly' opinion.

Loves:

-Language: One thing we can all agree on is Jane's awesome usage of language. I often read classic works aloud just to capture a sense of the art behind the words. Can you imagine calling every one you know Mr and Mrs (Miss)...? Or referring to insensitive jerks as 'a most disagreeable, horrid man, not at all worth pleasing. So high and so conceited that there was no enduring him!' We think we're insulting people by cursing them out. I think not. Further more, there's something quite elegant, romantic, and kind of fun in speaking properly. What would the world be like if we returned to this manner?

- Sisters, Mothers, and Girlfriends: In most Jane Austen novels, you get a great sense of how she valued the relationships she had with her sisters, her mother, and friends. I love reading about how they all congregated, they stuck together, and relied on each other. It seems they had a better picture of how to appreciate one another, instead of tearing each other down (in most cases). I will say, though that on first read, Mrs. Bennet is quite meddlesome, and irritating. I find I get on more with Mr. Bennet, who seems very settled, very chill.

- Balls: Who doesn't like a good ball? I think every girl, whether she's read the novels or not, loves the movies, just to gaze in awe at the costumes, the flowing gowns, ribbons, and romance of it all. Lets not forget the line dancing!

- Bingley: He seems adorable. Fun, embracing of life, curious. He seems like the type of guy to fall in love, and you know he'll be faithful. It's lovely that he has his eyes set on dear Jane! I'm waiting for Darcy to try and ruin it!

Thoroughly disdained:

-DARCY. I'm sure he's only this way in the beginning. I'm sure you'll have 101 reasons why I should reconsider, but he's so awful right now. Cocky, rude, the whole bit. How does a person get invited to an event by a friend, and look his nose down at everyone? A person of such 'high breed' should know better. How does one say, 'No one here is good enough to know?' That sucks! This line did it for me: "Miss Bennet he acknowledged to be pretty, but she smiled too much.' How is this even possible? I think you really have to be full of yourself to note smiling as a deal breaker.

-Mrs. Bennet: I just think that she needs to relax a little.

So far, so good, with my first five chapters! Much more to come!

Source: Quotations: Pride and Prejudice | We Heart It

7 comments:

  1. Aww, I love this! I completely agree, all the hype kept me from being over-the-top anxious to read it, and I think that's partly what's kept it toward the bottom of my list of favorite Austen novels. I love the language, too. My mom says I write like Jane (which I totally don't believe) and I think it's just the result of part of me being forever lost to that world and all the grand propriety.

    I love Darcy, but I don't really see him as the fairytale hero that a lot of girls say he is. I think Elizabeth Gaskell's Mr. Thornton (North and South) is much more the romantic ideal. But where Darcy seems to change by Lizzy, to open his eyes and be less critical, I think Thornton is pretty open-minded from the jump. It's more of a matter of his being misunderstood by Margaret. Wow, sorry, I'm totally rambling! Haha. Keep enjoying the book! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH and I think I told you that most of my classics are from Barnes & Noble's line - the footnotes and endnotes really helped me understand the language when I first started reading, but they definitely take away from the book too. My Jane Eyre is the Bantam Classics version and other than an introduction by Joyce Carol Oates it doesn't have anything else to distract the reader. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. The classics I own all have introductions and footnotes. I don't read the intros ever, but in certain books such as Wuthering Heights I found the footnotes helpful.

    I didn't read Pride and Prejudice until after seeing the 2005 movie. And I greatly enjoy the movie more, simply because Mr. Darcy is more likeable in it. I think the whole thing with Mr.Darcy is that he is so wretched and mean, and wrongfully judgmental that people love how his sudden (though unwanted) love for Lizzy transforms him. The way he approaches her and first declares his love, is both sweet and insulting (in both film and book).

    But yeah, I think I actually prefer Emma than Pride and Prejudice -novel wise. But Jane Austen is an amazing writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, just found your blog thanks to Casee Marie and I love it :) I adore Jane Austen, have done since I was a child. This is one of my faves, persuasion is another :)

    welcome to enjoy and follow at
    http://www.sweetfacedstyle.blogspot.com
    Twitter: @AnikaSweetface

    <3 Anika

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your comments on the novel. I feel the same way about Mr. Darcy...even later in the novel. His redemption is awkward and unrealistic for me. I can't wait to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Destined...thanks so much! I'll never understand why Darcy is such a catch, but maybe it'll all change once i've finished! Thanks so much for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anika thanks so much for your compliments! So happy you love it! Your blogs pretty snaazy as well! I'm following you on Twitter now!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks so much for visiting, and leaving a comment! Normally I respond here! Thanks again!

xxx
Britta

Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails