14.1.12

Britta Cooks: Cinnamon Vanilla Crepes

Photobucket

Hello Dreamers! Today I bring you another account of my ongoing culinary adventures.

When I was in the UK, I was privileged  to meet some really awesome cooks. One of which made the very best crepes I've ever tasted. Don't think, I left without getting my friend, Paulynn Chen, to send me her recipe! I wanted to come home and surprise my parents with an elegant, and delicious European treat. I tweaked her recipe to explore a bit.

One of the things I enjoyed most about making this dish is that it is entirely simple:
  • 1 Cup of All Purpose Flour
  • 1 Cup of Milk  
  • 1 Egg
  • 2 Tablespoons of Sugar (or to your liking)
  • Ground Cinnamon
  • Vanilla Extract
First, sift your flour into a mixing bowl, as this will remove any lumps. Crack the egg, mix into the flour, and then gradually pour the milk in as you whisk quickly until smooth. When it comes to Cinnamon, Vanilla Extract, and Sugar, it's really up to you.  As you mix, the fragrance that rises smells like home, and warm cider, or freshly baked cookies. I poured an estimated tablespoon of Vanilla Extract, and sprinkled cinnamon to my hearts content. Butter your pan, and pour mixture into the center of the pan, rotating a nonstick skillet, over a medium flame, until it thinly coats the bottom of the pan.  Once finished, fold the crepe in fours (in half, and then again), placing them decoratively on your plate. Sift a bit of powdered sugar until it lightly coats them, top with whipped cream, and cinnamon. 
Photobucket
I loved every bit, though, I will have to practice in order to get them to Mama Chen's  out of this world standard! I sat to the table, sipping English Breakfast tea from one of my favorite tea cups, and wondered at what it will be like to cook from scratch for my family more often. There's an awesome sense of accomplishment as the spices flavor the air around you, bone white egg shells sit on the counter, and flour sticks to your whisk.

As an added ambience, I played the Jane Monheit Pandora Radio station which completely sets the mood with timeless, smooth jazz. Though, I cannot replay all of the songs that played as I cooked, I did create a wonderful 8 Track Playlist called: Crepes for Brunch.

This playlist is filled with songs by Jane Monheit, Stevie Wonder, Norah Jones, even a few scores like Pride and Prejudice, and Like Crazy.

I hope you enjoyed this post, and if you make Cinnamon Vanilla Crepes, PLEASE, let me know so that we can gush about it!

I wonder what I'll cook next....

8 comments:

  1. Britta, this looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our regular recipe always has some vanilla sugar instead of regular sugar. I've never tried it with cinnamon though. I'll give it a whirl soon. Maybe next weekend when I'm home. My mum loves it when I cook for her out of the blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks so much for commenting! Please let me know what you and your mom think of it!

      Delete
  3. You've inspired me to make crepes! I have always wanted to try. I've never even tasted them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, totally do it, they are so AWESOME! I love that they are thin, so they don't have that same overstuffed feeling that pancakes do.

      Delete
  4. I've honestly never had crepes, and my mom and I always talk about that fact. I keep meaning to try them one way or another, so maybe I'll test out this recipe (thank you very much!). And I definitely need to grab my headphones and give your playlist a listen - by the artists you mentioned it sounds like just the sort of thing I'd love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that surprises me the most! lol. I can't wait to hear your reaction about crepes! They are fabulous! Really hope you love the playlist!

      Delete

Hey! Thanks so much for visiting, and leaving a comment! Normally I respond here! Thanks again!

xxx
Britta

Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails