11.2.10

Gothic Charm School

I've recently started reading Gothic Charm School, by Jillian Venters. I've always been a bit intrigued by people in interesting subcultures; punks and rockers have always struck me as some of the most chill and individual people. There's something about people willing to completely stand out, even if it seems really outlandish. There has always been this certain something about Goth's.  Of course, there are obvious affiliations to witchcraft (which can be both true and a stereotype) that I disagree with, but there are other things to find quite interesting about them. 

They seem to walk in a life of perpetual Wuthering Heights, donning intricate, vintage, Victorian dresses, and all that lace and velvet. I love the deep red stones, antique time pieces, 'haunting' structures, and even...really really old graveyards.

It seems Jillian had people like me in mind when she penned her ode to Goth. People who find it interesting, may have questions, and want to find out more. She tackles everything from Gothic history and Stereotypes, to learning how to accept their differences, and how to tell if you're a Goth.

News flash for me...of course I'm not Goth. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good Gothic atmosphere like and old Welsh castle, or stories like Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre.

I've only just started it, but Jillian's voice is brilliant. She doesn't take herself too seriously by trying to sound brooding and intense, but she does take the Gothic Culture seriously, which is appreciated. Her comments are witty, and quite comical! I've watched some of her Youtube videos about the book, and I think they are informative, as they are hilarious!

For more information, peep her website Gothic Charm School!

And now for something deep:

Last year, I found a website called Christian Goth.
And its pretty eye opening. I recommend every Christian to go on there, 
even just to check it out. Because for a subculture that's often hailed as satan-led
these Goth's are as on fire for God as some of the best Christians I know, and how I try to live daily.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks so much for visiting, and leaving a comment! Normally I respond here! Thanks again!

xxx
Britta

Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails