29.6.11

Uke|Affairs: Evergreen Love by Misty Miller & Before You Know by All Young Girls Are Machine Guns

Hello Darlings!

My world's been all aflutter with my upcoming move back home! There will be an epic scroll of a post dedicated to my time in Bangor, Gwynedd and the wondrous places I've grown to love whilst being here. But I've taken some seconds away from packing to record two ukulele covers!

Photobucket




I wrote of my love for Misty Miller in this ukulele spirited post! Her voice is so soothing, along with the rich, tinkling strums of her fingers across ukulele strings! It makes for magic, my friends. I adore songs that are simplistically beautiful, with the intrigue of a kindred spirit sitting in front of you whilst laying themselves bare as they read out a scribbled poem. I learned Evergreen Love, both because it's lovely, and to continue on my fingerpicking quest. I've gotten ton's better at it!



This next band may receive a post entirely dedicated to their awesomeness! Before You Know is a cover by All Young Girls Are Machine Guns. I was drawn to them upon first glance of their genius name, but their music is totally not what I expected. I think the name seems to conjure the image of a hell raising Riot Grrl, but reality shows it to be the pseudonym of the brilliant Rebecca Lowry, AYGAMG's front woman! She is a Riot Grrl but in an entirely different way. Rebecca picked up the ukulele, and just started writing songs. Of female musicianship she says: "I think ladies are finally realizing that it's okay not to be Christina Aguilera, it's okay not to be Siouxie Sioux and the Banshees. It's okay to just be a girl with a ukulele who sings some folk songs." Here's a podcast of this interview that Rebecca did for X-Rated: Women in Music. You'll hear how she got into playing, and some of her beautiful songs!

AYGAMG's songs are acoustic dreams, that speak of first loves, dances, a crush, and a myriad of other fascinating stories! She has a soulful, folky sound that meshes beautifully. I think, in a way she tells all our stories. But of her songs, at least for the moment, I was moved by Before You Know! There's nothing like being with the one you know is made for you, and feeling as if the entire world is yours and no one else exists...at least for a second. Here's a lovely live video of AYGAMG's performing the song! I never knew a violin could sound so awesome with a ukulele until I saw this band at play!

If you're interested, checkout their latest album All Young Girl's Are Machine Guns, and the former album The Secret Attic Recordings

Enjoy you're day! I hope you love the covers! These were the first two that didn't take AGES to make!

Happy Dreaming

3 comments:

  1. I love listening to ukelele covers! Sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to ask; are you Norwegian and if not; how did you learn norwegian?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a beautiful singing voice!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks so much for visiting, and leaving a comment! Normally I respond here! Thanks again!

xxx
Britta

Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails