15.10.10

Take on the Monolith

Photobucket

The woman whom every girl tends to be enamored with at some point or another: Marie Antoinette. Of course, the film presents itself as the whimsy Lady's dream, with all of its dresses, extravagant cakes from Laduree, and different shades of pink and sky blue. (I'm sure you've all caught the sky blue converse which was a little addition that could never have been left out!) Loads of people have commentary about it having a seeming lack of direction, or driven plot, but I just look at it as vignettes of her life. No one can deny that the cinematography is out of this world! Watch and admire, if only for that!

Photobucket

I have undertaken to crack the spine of this monolith. The biography is huge, and normally I never get into non-fiction, but there are some people that intrigue you enough to want to find out the real story. All I know at this point is how she seems to inspire all of us to live more extravagantly, and that of course, she was a Queen of France. But I would like to come as close as possible to seeing how she saw the world, and getting to the bottom of the infamous 'let them eat cake' line.

I also want to soak in every bit of french culture, and whimsy that I can!

Photobucket

I find myself quite taken with Paris and the notion of it. I often wonder how it has become the land of artistic chimera, romantic fantasies, and the lived life. I would love to visit before (if) I leave the UK, it would be a bit of a shame not to. 
Source: We Heart It | Google Images

4 comments:

  1. I also find myself taken with Paris. But I never read history books or biographies really. I only ever read one, "The Audrey Hepburn Treasures".

    The Marie Antoinette movie is SO gorgeous, but I don't like the characters. I think they tried to make the film just too artistic and left out the 'meat' and parts of a movie that make a movie. I didn't enjoy it. Watched it once! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. another beautiful post, I am such a romantic too! I have lived in Paris, grew up there, it is amazing, and still my home, all though I now live in Oslo :) I will be putting your blog on my blogroll :) love, anika

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only saw the film once, but I loved the cinematography. I wasn't over-the-top about the story, but I think that was just because I watched The Other Boleyn Girl (both adaptations) and The Duchess around the same time. It was overkill of that whole the-king-needs-an-heir thing. Anyway, I'm planning a full-on Sofia Coppola extravaganza so I'll definitely be rewatching. Last night I reblogged a post on tumblr with Marie Antoinette's last letter, did you happen to see that? Reading it really grabbed me and gave me a little better insight into who she was. I've heard Antonia Fraser is superb, so I hope you enjoy the book.

    I think every romantic girl finds themselves infatuated with Paris. Growing up I was all about Italy, I wouldn't even give France the time of day. (I think it was because the Italian roots of my family tree come generations closer to me than the French ones.) Then something - undoubtedly my Audrey Hepburn love - drew me to Paris and I haven't let go since. What's not to love about it, really? There's so much energy even in just the name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen the film but I have always loved the photographs and stills I have seen. Everything is so pink, lacey and feminine and I love the costumes and locations.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks so much for visiting, and leaving a comment! Normally I respond here! Thanks again!

xxx
Britta

Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails