3.1.10

Dreaming my way to a Profit

Photobucket
{weheartit}

My mother posed a challenge to me today. It's actually a perfect way to start the new year, but an equally daunting task. In her self assured voice she asked: "Suppose that you're in Wales, and the chocolate store you work in provides enough money for you to eat, and for transportation, but still not enough to handle other necessities. How would you work your gift?"

How would I work my gift? "I obviously don't know, Mom, that's why I am in this situation," I replied, words laced with sarcasm and self doubt. Self doubt is what's kept me from leaping out there, and writing for print, or sending out short stories. So I launched into blogging three months ago, desiring to do it in a way which would seriously help me get noticed, and form a portfolio of sorts. It's still my desire! But, I've always tried so hard to stay away from competition and in reality, the kind of hunger and persistence that makes you move. Why: because if I fail, then what?

But, what if I don't fail?

Over the past year, I have met cool people, and followed some awesome bloggers out there who take the cake when it comes to persistence:

Wish Wish Wish
Carrie
Photobucket
Carrie started her blog to create a portfolio of all of her photographs, fashion inspirations, and personal musings. I've watched it over the last year, and it's become a voice for style and photography. Carrie's been featured in fashion magazines, blogs, and shops such as Modcloth.com, for her keen fashion sense, whimsical musings, and awesome photographs.  She's even branched out by making small videos of her shopping excursions through Brick Lane, and other parts of London. It all started with her making a small blog just for herself, and now she's well on her way to achieving her dreams.

Charade Style
Megan
Photobucket
Megan started Charade Style to show college students how to efficiently save money, move forward academically/professionally, and how to be a fashionista on a budget. I've peeped in to her website off and on throughout the year, and it's pretty brilliant. Her articles 'Making Your Dreams Come True,' and the latest 'Make Your Life Amazing' series, cause you to stop, sit, and think about becoming the very best 'you' you can be! She's also a creative writing major, as I am, and she wanted to write about things she loves, while building a well written portfolio for prospective opportunities. So far, she has several hundred subscribers waiting to read her how-to's!


Bella Amour
Gabrielle
Photobucket
My GREAT friend Gabrielle, started her website, after creating an amazing graphics community on livejournal. She learned that people actually wanted to pay for her blinkies, icons, and web layouts, and then branched out to start Bella Amour! She creates beautiful, whimsical work that will bring out the Princess in all of us, or the elegant Audrey Hepburn that all of us wish to be! She's really just started it, but its only the beginning of success. All it took was stepping out there, and learning that she was worth her hire.


These women really illuminate me, because all it took for them was the drive to create something with their gifts. Oh the journey! Two Thousand Ten will be my year to do just that. I just have to find a niche some how.  If you know what it is, feel free to let me in on it!






Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks so much for visiting, and leaving a comment! Normally I respond here! Thanks again!

xxx
Britta

Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails